Followers

Friday, October 15, 2010

School Daze



So, we decided, long before Bella was born, that I would be a stay at home parent. Assuming I would be able to handle taking care of a kid, 24/7 for the first five years of her life. We were pretty adamant, considering we both had started school, then. Kindergarten.


Well, life moves on, things change and well, our outlook did too.


Now, before anyone assumes the worst, yes, I have had my moments, quite a few in the last year actually. I have noticed, and probably conveyed a bit too much: CABIN FEVER! Impatience. Yelling. but, never spanking. Yeah, I can yell. Big surprise , eh? HA!


Honestly though, it is more of a deep voice kinda thing. When I am angry with the little one (or Papa), the voice deepens a few octaves. Not Darth Vader deep, but low enough to get my point across. Normally. Not as often as I would like, but...well..it works. sometimes.


Anyhoo, I have noticed that my deep voice rantings are not working as much anymore. The little one chooses to ignore my warnings of not running in the house, running in flip flops, and in general, not running at all. Although, bribery still works. Probably will till the day I die LOL! She thinks it is funny to disobey these warnings, and Papa? Well, Papa likes to push my buttons and instigate the little one. NO worries, we are truly a happy family, but hell, I seem to be experiencing the good cop/bad cop dilemma.

Which brings me to this: I get a break! FINALLY!!


Albeit only a few hours a day, but YIKES! It has been FOUR YEARS since I had this much time on my hands...what will I do? Probably clean house. Initially. Then? Get back in shape. Yeah, contrary to popular belief, I ain't this pretty under all the clothes. I need work. Not having had that luxury in so many years, now is the time.


Enough of me. The reason for this post?: BELLA IS GOING TO SCHOOL! NOW! Before kindergarten.


We had known for some time, that the public school system in our state sucks. BIG TIME! Therefore, we were seeking alternatives for her schooling. She is a bright, creative and opinionated kid. Therefore, she needs to be stimulated. So, we determined the best bet would be private schools. NOT!


SHEESH, even with the economy in such a state, the tuition for kindergarten and up was a minimum of 12k per year. FOR A 5 YEAR OLD? I remember paying that for college...(almost)!


UH UH...so after careful and extensive research, we decided on Montessori. She can learn at her own pace, and excel. The system is such that it enables students to have a more personal approach to education, rather than the teacher sitting behind a desk, spouting off essays, rules and warnings.


So, we found a school. Learned there was a waiting list, and decided to apply. It is fairly close to our new home and we needed to get her on the list for kindergarten . ASAP!


We did, took the tour and discovered there was ONE opening for pre-school. PRE-SCHOOL!


Such the excellent adventure! Although we had never considered it before, we know this, now, will teach her the importance of socialization. And give her a head start on the learning/schooling processes.


We've already bought her back-pack, thermos and lunch pail. She is thrilled. For now. We all know that can change the moment she walks through that door and realizes Daddy & Papa wont be there...We all went through it at one point or another...life moves...and moves...and moves.


Yesterday, Thursday, Bella met her teacher for the first time. They call this an assessment. Teachers meet with students, one on one.


It went well. We Think. We should find out today if she has been accepted. Fingers crossed!


Perhaps soon...not only will I have time for me, I can do laundry, clean the house, pick up toys, plan dinner, work out and BLOG AGAIN!


YEAH ME!


*SIGH* (it only took 4 years and several months)






Happy Fatherhood Friday!


Educate yourself with the reading, writings and rhythmic movements of the members @ DAD-BLOGS

















6 BellaBuddies left comments! Ya know ya wanna!!:

Mike and Mike said...

Montessori? I hope they have improved considerably since their first entrance into the educational system. Please keep us updated as we will be in a similar dilema. I can say, however and thankfully, we have an excellent public school system in our town. Considering how much we pay in taxes, it damn well better be!

Doug @ Daddy's Tired said...

Every bad day at work I think man would I love to be a stay at home dad...Unfortunately, my wife and I can't swing it so we work...I applaud you and envy you. I'm sure after a few years the little break that school provides is amazing.

Good luck!

Melisa Wells said...

I think you're gonna miss her...maybe just a little bit. :)

Congrats on this milestone! :)

Mrs.Lemon said...

Have my fingers AND toes crossed for you!

Jason, as himself said...

I am giddy thinking about all of the free time you'll have on your hands!

KWG said...

Congratulations (I hope)! I work from home a lot and my wife decided to stay at home period for a while, at least until our second girl is older. We're hoping Bea will start in a bridges-to-kinder program in a year.

About Me

My Photo
BellaDaddy
Click "Our Story" below for more...
View my complete profile

OutNumbered
Ciara's Ramblings and Whatnot
Dad Exchange
RMDM